Homeless/McKinney-Vento Act

Are you, or someone you know, living in one of the following situations?

  • Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.

  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations.

  • Living in emergency or transitional shelters.

  • Living in a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place but not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.

  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.

  • Migratory children also qualify as homeless if they are living in circumstances described above.

Then you may qualify for services under the McKinney-Vento Act.

The McKinney-Vento Act supports students and families who do not have a nighttime residence that is:

  •  Fixed (stationary, permanent, not subject to change), 
  •  Regular (used on a nightly basis), and 
  •  Adequate (sufficient for meeting the physical and psychological needs typically met in a home environment)

McKinney-Vento eligible children have the right to:

  • receive a free, appropriate public education, including free breakfast and lunch

  • enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment

  • enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.

  • enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.

    • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision

  • receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this

  • receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs

Please contact a school representative for assistance or more information:

  • Amber Gregory (Central-Denison/Eastview/LGMS), (262) 348-3000, ext. 3310

  • Tana Kubly (Badger HS & Star Center), (262) 348-2000, ext. 2101


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.